Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Longan almond agar agar with evaporated milk

Since my attempts using milk in 2015 and the original 2009 to make almond jelly, I thought I'd try with evaporated milk because I had it in the cupboard and I don't often.

I've surmised that I like the texture of agar agar which is slightly chewy better than jelly which tends to come out rubbery rather than pillowy toufu-soft.


Ingredients and method are pretty standard. 1 tsp almond essence to 1 litre of liquid to 1 packet of Swallow brand agar agar - only that brand will work. Basically I used all the liquid from the can of evaporated milk and can of longan and topped up to make 1 litre. I didn't add any additional sugar because I used the liquid from the can of longan.

Recipe feedback 

Compared also the using milk with agar agar, the colour of the almond agar agar using evaporated milk is yellowish rather than white. Texture-wise, it's as firm as using milk but taste-wise, it's certainly a lot creamier.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes