Friday, November 30, 2012

Malay cake (ma lai go)

I previously posted this recipe and all the times I've tried the recipe, was never quite happy with the results for 3 reasons. First, it requires a beater (or killing myself creaming eggs and sugar!). Second, the cooking time is really long, upwards of 1 hour. Lastly but most importantly, it doesn't turn out fluffy like what my Kao Mo used to do for us. Instead, the cake is very dense, and the top certainly doesn't 'smile' like it's meant to!

I found a new recipe here and am quite anxious to try it. From the looks of the picture, it does look quite airy. I might still need to use a beater, but at least the cooking time is halved!

(recipe reproduced because links do die!) Will update with photos after I try the recipe.

Ingredients

1:
5 eggs
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup evaporated milk

2:
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp baking soda

3:
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder

Method:
Mix 1 until thick and well combined. Add combined ingredients under 2 and beat for 1 minute. Sift ingredients under 3 and fold into the mixture to make batter.

Line a 10 inch pan with plastic wrap. Pour batter in pan and steam over high heat for 30 minutes or until completely cooked. Allow to cool completely. Slice and serve.

Update: Malay cake with yeast

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes