Thursday, October 13, 2016

Sausage broiche rolls

Since making this quick sausage rolls a year back, I've been reading up. Although the recipe is great in a pinch, it's for eating on the day itself. The bread uses a lot of yeast which may taste too yeasty (I didn't think so) but my main bug bear was that it tasted really dry and sand-papery the next day. On doing some reading up, I found out from this improved 50 minute version that that's a known 'side effect' of the bread, that it hardens. Also, the bread must strictly be proofed only for 10 minutes or it looses its softness, and I'm never a stickler for sticking strictly to recipes. On my last try, I exceeded that 10 minute mark.

I couldn't use the 50 minute recipe because it includes pumpkin, so had to find alternatives. This recipe is adapted from mini sausage rolls (http://nasilemaklover.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/mini-sausage-bread-rolls.html) for the technique, and standard sausage rolls (http://rasamalaysia.com/sausage-rolls/2/) for the ingredients (I converted some of the measurements). Most recipes I came across used Christine's tangzong method for true soft HK buns but I might try that another time.

Ingredients (makes 8 rolls)
300g bread flour (2 cups)
5g (2 tsp dried yeast)
10g (1 tbsp) sugar
6g (1 tsp) salt
30g butter, cubed at room temperature
1 egg
200ml milk
8 sausages
1 egg + dash of milk for egg wash
Sesame seeds to top (optional)

Method
1) Put 1/2 of flour and yeast in the bowl of the food processor with the dough hook attachment. Add the sugar and salt. Combine.
2) Trickle in the egg and milk. Scrape down the sides.
3) Add in the remaining flour mixture and knead until the dough becomes elastic and leaves the side of the bowl. This took about 5 minutes.
4) Add the cubed butter a bit at a time and knead. Continue kneading till the dough becomes stretchy, glossy and soft. Try the window pane test. This took about 10 minutes. I also removed it form the food processor and continued to knead by hand for another 10 minutes. The mixture is sticky but scape it off the surface with a scraper. No additional flour to dust the surface was needed.
5) Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with cling film. Leave to proof for 1 to 1.5 hours depending on ambient temperature until it doubles in size.
6) Deflate and cut the dough into 8 pieces. Gently knead by folding it like a book and bring the sides down to form a ball. Return to the bowl to rest for 10 minutes. Prepare the baking trays by lining with parchment.
7) Take out each piece but keep the unused ones covered in the bowl. Roll it out into a long cylinder (about the diagonal of my 40 cm board) and coil it loosely around the sausage. Tuck in each of the ends. Place on the tray.
8) Leave to proof for 30 to 45 minutes until doubled in size. Coat with egg wash and sesame seeds.
9) Bake at 200 deg C (no grill) for 8 minutes, then rotate try and bake for a further 4 to 5 minutes with the grill function on until it has turned golden brown.


Recipe feedback: I really hate the brioche method of making bread because the dough is so sticky. Thankfully however, two things saved my bacon this time. First, I used bread flour, which seemed to find some structure much more easily. Second, thank God for my food processor! I've never used machinery before but when there is this much stickiness involved, it was a life saver. I still had to manually pound it for about 10 minutes to get it to window pane stage but having it help me with the first 30 minutes made a huge difference to my arm muscles and motivation to complete!

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes