Thursday, August 06, 2020

Creamy chicken, corn, and noodle soup

This is not a healthy soup. I had leftover roasted chicken and so badly wanted corn chowder. However, corn chowder required potatoes, which I inexplicably and inconveniently did not have in my cupboard (I usually do!). However, I did have double cream and was willing to make a roux (I ain't normally so hardworking!). This is a very quick soup but if you have time, you could boil the roasted chicken bones in the chicken stock for about 15 minutes to fully extract the flavour. This is a one pot meal - my favourite style of cooking!

Ingredients
3 to 4 chicken drumsticks or chicken thighs, meat removed and shredded
1 can of corn (creamed corn is ok too)
130ml double cream
250ml chicken broth
500ml water
3 tbsp butter (I used chicken fat which I scraped from my roast chicken gravy)
4 tbsp flour
Salt and pepper to taste
½ large onion, chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
200g (or half a pack) pasta (I used macaroni but use anything you like)

Method
1. In a deep pot, add the chicken fat and sweat the onion and garlic.
2. Add the chicken and briefly fry to warm up. Push the chicken and aromatics to the sides of the pot.
3. Sprinkle over the flour and quickly fry to remove the raw floury taste. This should take less than a minute before the flour starts to stick to the bottom.
4. Add the chicken broth and carefully scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to remove frond. Fill the empty can/broth packet with water and pour that in. Stir well to ensure that the flour has dissolved.
5. Add the can of corn, liquid and all (check to ensure that the liquid is not too salty).
6. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover and turn down the flame and simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Add the pasta and cook as directed, about 9 to 10 minutes.
8. Add the double cream and stir in. Season to taste. 
9. Serve with crusty bread if desired

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes