Thursday, January 24, 2019

IP Char siu

Also known as cha siu or char siew because this is a cantonese name, so it cannot be spelt using hanyu pinyin. A long time ago, my close staff taught me to make char siu in my pots with pork butt (twui bak) and equal parts of sugar, oyster sauce, light soya sauce, and dark soya sauce. While that gave a really nice flavour, it didn't taste anything like soya sauce pork nor char siu. I decided to look for a recipe and came across these two recipes which I've adapted for my purposes. With the pork you can also use pork shoulder or even pork belly, depending on how fatty you like the pork. (https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/roasted-pork-belly-with-honey/)

Ingredients list: This link tastes the most authentic and because the other link uses char siu sauce. Why would I want to make char siu sauce from scratch if I already have the pre-made version?
http://www.curiousnut.com/chinese-bbq-pork-char-siu/

Method: This link uses IP method which is my preference to cooking in the oven and splattering everywhere and basting (and basting and basting), although this method is two-step ie cook in IP then grill in oven.
https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/char-siu-chinese-bbq-pork-pressure-cooker/

Ingredients
500g of pork butt
2 tbsp garlic, finely minced
3 tbsp light soya sauce
3 tbsp honey (or maltose)
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp juice of red fermented beancurd (nam yu)
2 tbsp light soya sauce
3 tbsp brown sugar (reduced from 5)
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp five spice powder
½ tsp white pepper
½ tsp salt (optional, depends on how salty the other sauces are, which depend on the brands used)
1 cup (250ml) of water
Glaze
2 tbsp light soya sauce
3 tbsp honey

Method
1. Prepare the pork by slicing down the centre until it makes 2 long strips of pork. If preferred, poke holes in the meat for the marinade to penetrate. Mix the marinate and marinate the pork in the mixture for min 2 hours or best overnight, up to 2 days.
2. Drain the marinade and pour into the bottom of the IP. Add the cup of water and stir until combined. Try to remove as much of the marinade from the pork and especially the garlic pieces or these will burn later on.
3. Place the pork in a steam basket. Cook on high pressure for 18 minutes, and natural release for 12 minutes.
4. Mix the glaze. Brush onto the pork.
5. Preheat to 230 deg C or Grill function. Place pork on a grilling rack (over a roasting tin lined with foil for easy clean up) and grill for 4 to 6 minutes per side (I did 5 min). Watch like a hawk. Once the surface turns slightly charred from the sugars in the honey and soya sauce, flip the pork or remove from the oven as necessary.
6. Serve chopped up with rice with the cooked gravy, or use in other meals e.g. wanton mee, char siu buns, fried rice, etc.


Beauties after grilling

Looks a bit dry but tasted ok after drizzling on the gravy

Recipe feedback
1. The meat came out a bit dry but looked correct. I wonder if it's the twui bak (pork butt) which was used instead of pork shoulder. I also recall that some char siu that I've eaten was very dry but because it was sliced wafer thin, you couldn't really tell. It might also be because I sliced it across the grain rather than with the grain, or because it was overcooked in the IP (I added an extra minute because one slab was really thick). I might try pork shoulder in future just for a comparison.
2. BK added that he'd like it sweeter and I did reduce the brown sugar from 5 to 3 tbsp, however, when I tasted the gravy, it tasted correct to me. The only thing is that it needs to be reduced like a sauce, which I was in too much of a rush for time to do.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes