Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Espresso chocolate chip muffins

Original recipe from http://prettysimplesweet.com/chocolate-espresso-muffins/

I've adapted a few techniques after trying out this recipe. For some reason, my butter seized up after adding it to the other wet ingredients. I was petrified I would have scrambled eggs but luckily my espresso seemed to 'melt' everything and it didn't taste any worse for it. Also, adding thr brown sugar to the dry didn't seem like a good idea because brown sugar is lumpy. So I'm going to add the sugar to the wet and beat it in instead. Lastly, timing was different to my oven, even though this time. My fan was on so it should have taken less time than what eventuated. So I've tweaked the temperature and timing.

Bought new muffin cases and hooray, they fit the tin perfectly! 

Ingredients (makes 10)
1 ½ cup flour (210g)
½ cup cocoa powder (50g)
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup sugar (100g)
½ cup light brown sugar (100g)
1 large egg at room temp, beaten
¾ cup milk (180ml)
¼ cup espresso (60ml) (note: milk and coffee should make 1 cup volume, so u can use instant coffee too with the appropriate amount of water), slightly cooled
½ cup melted butter (113g), slightly cooled
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup chocolate chips
½ cup chopped nuts of choice (I omitted)

Original recipe has an additional nut, chip and sugar topping which i forgot.

Method
1) Preheat oven to 190 deg C. Prepare the muffin tin eg butter or line with muffin papers.
2) Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together, You might need to sift at least twice to ensure the cocoa powder is well mixed.
3) In another bowl, whisk the egg, sugars, vanilla until well combined. Drizzle in the butter and incorporate.
4) Add the wet to the dry and mix till just mixed. Lumpy is ok. I prefer to silft in the dry and use a whisk to rotate everything in. 
5) Fold in the chips and nuts.
6) Distribute 2 heaped tbsp to each muffin case. This should bring it to about ⅔ full. Fill empty muffin slots with water for even cooking.
7) Top off with a few chocolate chips on each for a 'professional' look.
8) Bake at 190 deg C for 15 minutes. My oven has hot spots so here, I rotated the tins. Turn down to 180 deg C for another 10 to 15 minutes. Watch carefully because it's dark so u can't tell if it's burnt. A skewer should come out clean.
9) Store in air tight box for up to 2 days outside the fridge.


No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes