Saturday, February 21, 2009

5 spice 三杯鳮

This is a Taiwanese dish with my twist - adding the 5 spices. Traditional 三杯鳮 actually involves 3 things, chinese wine, soya sauce and sesame seed oil. You're not really expected to use 1 cup of each, but it does mean that you're supposed to include equal portions of each. In addition, it involves adding copious amounts of ginger and garlic. Since I wasn't in the mood to thaw and skin my ginger (yes, I freeze my garlic for easy storage) I substituted this with dried chilli. I learnt this tip from this stall we usually buy our zhu jiao chu - possibly because ginger is expensive, this uncle uses dried chilli. The taste is slightly different - it makes it slightly smokey taste. While this doesn't really work with zhu jiao chu, it may possibly work with 三杯鳮.

Again in the traditional method, the chicken is cooked in a claypot. For me, being the lazy person who wants minimal mess, I used my favourite casserole method.

Ingredients
9 chicken wings (including drumlets)
2 tbsp dark soya sauce
2 tbsp light soya sauce
2 tbsp chinese rice wine
2 tbsp sesame seed oil
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp garlic, minced (or you can use 10 cloves of garlic, smashed)
2 tbsp ginger (3 thumb sized ginger, sliced)
2 cinnamon sticks
5 dried chilli
2 star anise
3 cloves
1 tsp cumin seeds

Method
1) Marinate the chicken with everything.
2) Pop it into a casserole dish and into the oven and cover. I used 220 deg C for 10 minutes, and turned down to 200 deg C for 20 mins, giving the slightly scorched skin. You can also uncover for the last 10 mins to crisp the skin silghtly.
3) Serve with freshly steamed rice.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes