Saturday, August 08, 2020

Banana, walnut, raisin, and blueberry loaf

I've had this time and tested recipe for banana bread since the longest time. However, ever since I bought a bigger loaf tin (13x24cm or 5x9.5"), I've been wanting to find a recipe to suit the bigger tin. I found one by Rasa Malaysia but it uses yoghurt, which I don't normally have sitting around in my fridge. So I decided to go back to the old recipe and upsize it.

Ingredients

2C flour

1½ tsp baking soda

¾ C packed brown sugar

pinch salt

2 eggs, beaten

2 tsp vanilla extract

3 mashed bananas

¼ C raisins

¼ C frozen blueberries

¼ C walnuts, chopped; with or 5 4 whole walnuts for decorating

1 tsp cinnamon powder


Method

1. In a big bowl, mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon powder.

2. Add the frozen blueberries and raisins and toss in the flour to coat so that they don't sink.

3. Add the packed brown sugar and ensure that everything is well incorporated and no big chunks of brown sugar. Set aside.

4. In a smaller bowl, mash the bananas with a fork.

5. Add in the melted butter, beaten egg, and vanilla extract. 

6. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and gently fold in. Fold until the flour is just mixed in, there might still be some dry bits. Do not over mix. The batter will be quite thick and chunky.

7. Butter a loaf tin and line it with an overhanging piece of parchment to facilitate easy removal.

8. Pour in the batter and push it into the corners the the tin. Smooth out the top. Decorate with whole walnuts.

9. Bake at 175 deg C for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. At the 45 minute mark, I had to tent it to prevent the walnuts from burning.

10. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes to cool slightly, then remove and continue cooling on a wire rack. Serve slightly warm with butter or jam.

Recipe feedback: The bread had a nice rise but I could taste the baking soda. I wonder if reducing to ½ tsp baking soda would help. It also wasn't as moist as the original recipe but that could be because I had one less banana. Generally I'm happy with the outcome because and additional banana would have increased the baking time.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes