Saturday, December 13, 2014

Oven baked ちんかつ

I have theses 4 pre seasoned pork chops lurking in my freezer. The are meant for grilling but they're difficult to eat because they are way too salty, as if they've been soaked in brine. I was was wondering  what to do with them till I came across this recipe by JOC. For the longest time, I've been looking for a good oven baked cutlet recipe, to substitute deep fried. Nothing has ever worked but this recipe has finally cracked it. All those failed experiments included under/over cooked, pasty/pale looking and uneven cooking. But a few tricks I learnt from those failures include:
1) flat surfaces work best ie fillets, and not chicken wings and my worst experiment: chicken drumsticks
2) not too thick. 1/2 inch or 1.3 cm works best
3) fry the crumbs in oil first. I've tried dredging the crumbs in oil then pasting them on (Jaime's recipe), fell off in clumps
4) not bread crumbs (soggy, thanks Jaime) but panko works best
5) some recipes suggest placing in the fridge to let the flour, egg and breadcrumbs stick but I find the meat becomes cold, then when baking, the meat remains uncooked while the outside burns. Perhaps this works if u use the soggy egg laden wet breadcrumbs then everything dries out at the same rate.
6) place on a grilling or oven rack, over a roasting tin to catch crumbs. This might work for non fillets like chicken pieces, but not necessary for this surprisingly.

Ingredients
4 pork chops, hand sized. I dunno, that's 200g? Not more than 1.4cm thick
1 egg, beaten
⅓ cup corn starch
½ cup panko
1 tbsp oil
Salt and pepper

Method
1) In a flat bottomed pan, preferably non-stick, pour in the panko and oil. Turn on the flame and start stir frying gently to incorporate. Fry till golden brown and stir often so that it doesn't burn. Once done, set aside to cool.
2) At this point, JOC suggests using a meat pounder to tenderize but I don't bother. However, as she suggests, I do make snips between the fat and connective tissue so that the fillet doesn't curl up.
3) Salt and pepper both sides of the fillets. (I didn't do this step because mine were already pre seasoned)
4) Place the flour, egg, and panko in flat bottomed and plates that aren't too deep. In order, place pork chop in flour, pat off excess. Followed by egg, then place in the plate of panko and press on.
5) Place on a flat cookie sheet with a rim, on top of baking parchment.
6) Bake in a preheated 200 deg C oven for 15 to 20 minutes till the juices bubble out and run clear.



This one has garlic butter in the middle, so the centre is raised. I find it didn't make the cutlet any more juicy.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes