Friday, September 12, 2014

Oven baked rosti

I got this idea from Jamie Oliver's Money Saving Meals, but it didn't quite turn out the way I expected. Ah well, I think I did several things wrong to begin with.

First off, I used waaay too much stuff (which didn't turn out to be that much in the end because I got a bigger baking sheet) - 1 sweet potato, 2 potatoes and 3 carrots. Jamie's recipe only called for 2 spuds and 2 carrots. Secondly, I accidentally washed it. I recalled when making kimchi, it's easier to get the osmosis process going if I soak in water. Mistake, I realised I was washing off the starch which is what's needed to make it 'stick' together! His original recipe isn't too far off from other oven-baked rosti recipes on the web, aka the food science is thereabouts.

Anyway, here's my improve of the recipe:

Ingredients
1 sweet potato (peeled)
2 potatoes (peeled)
3 carrots (peeled)
Salt
Olive oil

Method
1) Grate everything. Put it in a large tea towel and sprinkle on some salt. Let it sit in a strainer, then use a tea towel and squeeze the hell out of it. (Here's where I went wrong - I attempted to wash off the salt and realised too late, that I was washing off the starch!) However, since it can't be washed off, be careful how much salt you add, you don't want it to be overly salty!
2) I left the grated stuff sitting in a strainer in a bowl, to catch the juices. After an hour, my, there was about a cup of juice!
3) Pat down into a roasting tray (I used a lined cooking sheet because my roasting tray wasn't big enough!)
4) This part I'm foggy - I can't recall the temperature or time Jamie took, so I thought I'd chance it. I did 45 minutes at 200 deg and the top just started to brown, but inside was cooked but still soggy. Checked the web, apparently I should have done 190 deg C for 1 hr 15 minutes or thereabouts.

Anyway, tada! At least it's cooked with some crispy charred bits. Better than nothing!

 And goes great with teriyaki beef!

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes