Sunday, October 08, 2006

French toast


I had some old eggs and bread running around in the fridge so I thought what could be nicer as Sunday brekkie than to do French Toast.

Normally, my toast comes out soggy. The best french toast I know is from Burger King - they have a kind of crust on it, but I can't decipher how they do it. However, I'm pretty sure it's deep-fried, most unhealthy!

I got inspired by a batter I saw on telly recently. Beat egg whites until fluffy and put in corn flour, fold it it, never mind the lumps, these will be little surprising crispy bits. This works well for things like frying fish to give it the extra crispy texture, without a heavy batter.

I decided to do a little experiment:

Experiment #1
Coat bread with egg wash, and then dip in corn flour and pan fry.

Experiment #2
Coat bread with egg wash, then dip in normal flour and pan fry.

Between these 2, the different isn't entirely discernable. With corn flour, the flour amalgamates easily with the egg wash, making the coating slightly crunchy but smooth. With plain flour, the flour acts as a separate coating by itself and you can still see the flour bits on the bread, not so pretty. However, it's most crispy than corn flour, probably because it doesn't amalgamate with the egg.

Experiment #3
Combine the corn flour and normal flour into the egg and beat. There will be lots of little lumps.

This was the worst of the lot, didn't make it any more crispy, looked ugly (uneven finish) and just made the bread a bit 'tough' to chew on.

So I think the best compromise is still to coat with corn flour. Pretty and yet slightly crispy.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes