Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Tahini cookies

But I have a bottle of tahini in the fridge that I didn't know what to do with. I found this recipe and presto, thought I'd try it out. The texture is denser than almond cookies but still crumbly, melt in your mouth delicious.

Adapted from http://prettysimplesweet.com/tahini-cookies/

Ingredients (24 cookies)
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
⅓ cup + 1 tbsp tahini
⅓ cup + 1 tbsp sugar
75g butter (⅓ cup)

Method
1) In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar, butter and tahini until creamy. Scrape down the bowl periodicallty.
2) Sift in the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in two batches. Using low speed, beat in the dry additions.
3) I got a sandy dough. Chill for ½ hour to make it easier to roll into balls. Use a tbsp to portion out each ball of dough and place it on a lined cookie tray. Leave some space between each ball as it will grow.
4) Bake at 180 deg C for 12 to 14 minutes (no grill).
5) Leave to cool on the cookie tray for at least 10 minutes. Since it was so crumbly, I left it on the tray to cool completely before transferring into an air tight container to store for up to 5 days (not in the fridge).


Recipe feedback: The sandy dough was very difficult to work with. The original recipe calls for pressing the ball flat and embedding an almond. The whole ball just crumbled on me so I gave up. This was despite chilling the dough. Taste is great but am not sure I will make this again.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes