Monday, October 10, 2016

Haemul pajeon

I have repeatedly tried making pajeon and kimchi pajeon with normal flour but it always came out doughey. I read somewhere that the addition of cold water makes all the difference. I came across this recipe and thought it'd be worth a try and not to mention, the use of cake flour should reduce the doughey-ness.

From http://www.justonecookbook.com/korean-pancake/

Ingredients
10 scallions, cut in half
1 large egg, beaten
12 medium shrimps
1-2 tbsp oil for frying
1/2 C cake flour
1/2 C cold water (120ml)

Method
1) In a non stick pan, heat up the oil. Arrange the spring onions in a square. Intersperse with the prawns and fry for 3 minutes.
2) Using a zig zag motion, pour on the batter. Try to cover the prawns and as much spring onion as possible to 'stick' everything together. Pour the egg in between any 'holes'.
3) Fry for about 3 minutes until the sides crisp up, then flip.
4) Flatten down with the spatula. When the bottom is golden, flip again.
5) Serve with dipping sauce. (JOC uses gochugaru I prefer the recipe from Maangchi which I used previously that uses fresh cut chilli).

Recipe feedback: success! The dough was fluffy and crispy. But there was too much flour and insufficient water. *I've update the recipe. It was consumed so that I forgot to take photos. Next time then.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes