Sunday, October 23, 2005

Pork Porridge

Went to Newton Hawker Centre last night. As the original one is under renovation, it has moved to this previously open area (was it a field or car park? Cant remember) next to these very nice colonial-style black and white shop houses. I did one time think of renting one during my 'shophouse phase' but then saw the hawker centre nearby - not a good thing!

Anyhow, was having a porridge craving. U know how it is when u get the Hong Kong style chok, grains nicely broken down till the whole liquid is this velvelty and delicious gruel that slides down your throat. It can also be stody, like oatmeal, the way my family used to cook it (my mom would say that it's more substantial), but that's not the way I like it. I'm also not a fan of Teochew style muay at all. I'd much rather eat mui fan but maybe that's the Cantonese in me talking. :)

Went to Newton last night for late dinner to satisfy my craving for bbq chicken wings and porridge, but my craving for porridge was cruelly misplaced - 1stly, could only find a fish muay, 2ndly - blardy ripoff - $4! Anyway, with visions of pork porridge swirling in my head, I'd thought I'd try round 2 today. To make it simple, I'm using a rice cooker to do all the work.

Ingredients
300g pork bones (used for soup) or spare rib (this has more meat but is more pricy)
200g pork collar or pork shin - sliced thinly
100g minced pork
100g pork liver, sliced thinly
2 cups rice
1.5l water
1 finger length ginger, sliced thinly
Salt to taste

Marinade
Pork bones - 2 tbsp light soya sauce, 1 tbsp rice wine, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tbsp sesame seed oil
Pork slices - same as above, halve the proportions
100g minced pork - I cheated, as I didn't want to discolor my porridge (making it dark from the soya sauce and wine), after putting in the pork bones, I used the leftover marinade to marinate the minced pork
Liver - 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp ginger powder

Method
1) In the rice cooker, pour in just a big of cooking oil and fry the ginger slices.
2) Drain the pork bones of the marinade. Brown the pork bones. Remember to reserve the marinade liquid to marinade the minced pork. Shape these into balls.
3) Pour in the rice and bowls of water. Stir. Cover and let the rice cooker cook for 1.5 hours.
4) Check the consistency of the gruel, usually, it helps to stir it and add (water) water if necessary so that the rice grains break up and gives a velvety consistency.
5) After 1.5 hours, carefully pour in the pork balls once at a time so that they retain their shape and stir. Add salt to taste.
6) When ready to serve, pour in the liver slices and switch off the heat. These will cook in the heat but you don't want them over-cooked.
7) To serve, Optional: Break in 1-2 eggs into each bowl and ladle the hot porridge on top. The heat will cook the eggs.

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes