Monday, October 10, 2005

Grilled baby calamari

Dropped by the supermarket and picked up some fresh seafood for a change in diet. Came across baby calamari. This presented a challenge to me - I've never cooked squid before! I didn't even know how to clean it!

So digging back to my days of watching my maid clean squid, I remembered that there were 2 things that needed to be removed - the plastic-ky spine and the ink sac. Except in a baby squid, you don't really want to separate the body from the head, so there I was fishing around its torso. I found and removed the spine but not the ink sac, couldn't find it without having to dissect the poor squid.

One thing I learnt the hard way - the ink sac is actually quite salty! (probably from living in the sea) So no more additional salt needed next time.

This recipe was inspired by my recent Bangkok trip. We had the best grilled squid (these were giant ones), simply grilled and served with dipping sauces! A clean taste, the char-grilled squid was delicious, a simple taste of the sea! The dipping sauces provide all 4 dimensions of taste - sweet, sour, salty and spicy.


Ingredients
Baby squid, cleaned
Garlic, crushed
Oil for grilling
1 tbls honey


Dipping sauces
1 freshly cut chilli
2 tbls dark soya sauce
1 tbls Lime juice
Thai sweet chilli sauce

Method
1) Clean and prep the squid (e.g. can be skewered)
2) Marinate with crushed garlic and a drizzle of honey.
3) Brush the grill with cooking oil, heat till it smokes and place the squid on the grill to cook. Brush on oil on the squid. Cook, turning occasionally. Serve immediately.
4) For the salty and sour dipping sauce, mix cut chilli, lime juice and soya sauce.
5) To eat, dip squid into either the chilli/lime sauce, or Thai sweet chilli sauce, or even both!

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes