Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Bak Ku Teh - with a twist

Trying to prepare a complete balanced meal is never easy when you're in a time crunch. After coming back from work, I'm tired and it's late, and I still need to squeeze in my exercise routine. So I'm always looking for 1 dish meals.

Bak Ku Teh is mostly a 1 dish meal, toss in a ready mix packet with the marinated bak ku - how tough can it be? However, there's never any veg in the soup! So hence started my quest to find the perfect veg that can add to the soup without sullying the flavour.

This week I bought spinach, intending to cook it separately. But today, after a particularly bad day at work, I thought - what the heck.

The result - sublime! The spinach adds a sweet nutty taste to the soup. On retrospect, why not, after all, we always cook spinach soup with bak ku anyway.
Some other vegs that don't work - chinese lettuce. It can go in to let the heat wilt in the soup but definately not soaked in or cooked in the soup, it leaves a slightly bitter taste. However, it does add a nice crunch.

There's no recipe today because how hard is it to make bak ku with a ready mix? All the instructions are on the packet.

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes