Wednesday, May 27, 2020

IP Bak ku teh from scratch

I've always relied on bak ku teh spice packets bought from the shop but since it became difficult to go to the Asian shops, I decided to make my own. After some research, I found that there are two styles of BKT, Msian style which is darker, more herby, and Hokkien influenced, and S'pore style which is lighter, more peppery and taste of spices rather than herbs. I've always liked the latter.

I found this recipe from the Burning Kitchen. It consists of mostly spices.
All the soup had been sucked up by the rice!
Ingredients
2 star anise
10 cloves
½ stick cinnamon
2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp black pepper
12 cloves of garlic, smashed and paper removed.
1 kg pork ribs (I used prime ribs)
2l water
½ tsp dark soya sauce
2 tbsp light soya sauce

Method
1. Parboil the ribs for 10 minutes. Discard the water and wash the ribs. This step is necessary if you want a clear soup.
2. Toast the pepper until aromatic.
3. Bruise all the spices. If the peppers are pound very finely, the soup will be very peppery. Pour the spices into a spice packet.
4. Add the spice packet to the water and the pork bones. Add the smashed garlic, dark and light soya sauce.
5. Set the IP to cook on Meat for 40 to 50 minutes. Allow to naturally depressurise.
6. Serve with you tiao and sauce of red chill slices in 5 tbsp of dark soya with 3 tbsp of light soya.

Recipe feedback
It doesn't 100% taste like my favourite brand of pre-mix BKT which I can't find here, it I had cheated and added fennel seeds, which gave the soup a very earthy and 'homely' taste that was nice for the unusual cold autumn nights we'd been having. However, the taste was pretty close and certainly worth making again.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes