Sunday, May 03, 2020

Chicken mu (radish pickle)

This pickle is traditionally eaten with Korean fried chicken. The first time I came across Maangchi's recipe, I had eaten the fried chicken but had never eaten the pickle that came with it. I later found out that the so-called Korean fried chicken that I had been eating was actually a Singaporean joint that was making Korean-style fried chicken. It wasn't Korean at all! Since then I've had chicken mu and I agree with Maangchi. It is delicious but oh so little and so expensive! As I had a bit of lingering daikon (can't find real mu or Korean radish here), I thought I'd give it a try.

Ingredients
1 pound radish, preferably Korean (choose something that is round and has a lot of green part, skin is shiny)
⅓ C sugar
⅓ C + 1 tbsp white vinegar
3/4C water
1 tbsp salt

Method
1. Chop the mu into 1cm cubes.
2. Mix the pickle ingredients until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Add the mu to the pickle ingredients and store in a clean sterilised container.
4. Leave to marinate for at least 12 hours.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes