Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Slow cooker Dakdoritang

Recipe from http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dakbokkeumtang

I prefer to call this dakdoritang altho it's more commonly known now as dakbokkeumtang apparently. The recipe is so simple and added to the slow cooker is a real hoot to cook. The slow cooker, as u know, is my best friend because it allows me to do other things like housework or watch tv or shower while it toils, then hey presto! Dinner is served. I particularly like Korean stews in slow cookers because unlike most Chinese and Western recipes, there's no need to saute things, which I hate because it means lots of cleanup thereafter. Anyway, I digress. Here's the recipe, or rather my interpretation.

Ingredients
1 kg chicken (i used drumsticks)
4 tbsp gochugaru
4 tbsp gochujang
4 tbsp garlic, minced
½ medium onion, chopped
4 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tbsp sugar
2.5 cups water
3 to 4 potatoes, peeled and chunked (depending on how much u like potatoes, I really do!)
Spring onion to garnish (i omitted this because i don't like it)
2 green chillis, chopped (my chilli plant is sleeping because it's winter, too bad!)
1 tbsp sesame oil
Sprinkle of sesame seeds

Method
1) Place onions and chicken in slow cooker. In a bowl, mix all the sauces, gochugaru, sugar, with the garlic. Add a bit of water to make an emulsion.
2) Coat the chicken with the emulsion, then turn on the slow cooker and add the water. Bring to a boil and skim the scum and fat. Let it cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
3) Add the potatoes and cook for another 20 minutes or till softened.
4) Before serving, pour on the sesame oil, scatter sesame seeds, green chilli and spring onions. Serve hot with rice.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes