Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Oksusuppang (Corn bread)

Been wanting to try corn bread for the longest time and then Maangchi came out with this receipe. The only problem is that we don't have corn meal here in Australia, and she used ground corn meal which looks very fine. I searched the Internet and found that polenta is the equivalent in Australia but it is not as finely ground as what I saw Maangchi used. But no matter, first attempt, I'll try 'as is' and see how things turn out. If it's wrong, then next time I might have to finely grind the polenta myself using a coffee grinder!

After trialling the recipe with polenta, I found that I needed to add more liquid and steep longer and increasing the baking time, so the recipe has been updated to reflect this.

Ingredients
1 large egg
1 ¾ cup milk
2 cups corn meal/polenta
2 tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder

Method
1) In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients (except for the baking powder), then the wet.
2) Let everything sit for 30 minutes.
3) After sitting, the mixture has separated. Stir to recombine, then add the baking powder.
4) Pour into a baking tin, either lined with parchment or Maangchi buttered it. She used a 8*8 inch square pan but my pan was 10*6 inch so technically, the volume should be the same :P
5) Bake immediately after adding the baking powder, otherwise it loses its efficacy. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 deg C for between 35 to 45 minutes. You guessed right, I started pre-heating my oven during the 20 minute waiting time.
6) Check for doneness with a skewer, it should come out clean. Let it cool slightly before turning it out on a cutting board and cutting into squares or rectangles or whatever takes your fancy.

Feedback on recipe: perhaps because I used polenta, it didn't turn out as fluffy as Maangchi's.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes