Friday, January 16, 2015

Oyakodon おやこどん

I used JOC's recipe http://www.justonecookbook.com/recipes/oyakodon/ and it worked a treat, altho its a bit too sweet for my liking. I adapted the recipe, eg doubled the portions and added some corn starch (I'm chinese, I can't help it!) so I would have leftovers. So easy to make! I'll do this again.

Ingredients (serves 4)
6 chicken thigh fillets (approx 700g)
6 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp sake
5 tbsp soya sauce
2 tbsp sugar
2 cups dashi
4 eggs
1 white onion, sliced
1 tbsp corn starch 
4 stalks spring onions, sliced into 2 inch slices (I omitted this as I don't like spring onions)
Dash pepper
4 portions of rice

Method
1) Slice the chicken thighs into bite sized chunks. Try to cut them into slivers rather than cubes so that it would cook faster.
2) Marinade with pepper, 1 tbsp of soya and corn starch. Mix well and set aside to marinade, at least for ½ hour.
3) In a shallow and wide pot (I used a paella pan), pour in the mirin and sake and bring to a boil to evaporate the alcohol. At this point, beat the eggs and set aside. I started cooking the rice in the microwave too.
4) Add the remaining soya, dashi and sugar. Bring to a boil, and add in the onions. Arrange them in a single layer. Place the chicken on top in a single layer. Cover and bring to a boil.
5) Skim off the scum and oil. Cover and let it cook for 10 minutes at medium flame, agitating the pot periodically.
6) Open the lid, sprinkle on the spring onions and drizzle on the egg. Turn off the flame and cover for 2 minutes or slightly longer if your like the eggs harder. I like my eggs soupy.
7) Ladle on top of rice.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes