Sunday, December 21, 2014

Milo raisin and Oreo frappe ice creams

I thought I would try a new ice cream recipe that I came across on Cooking with Dog called the milk gelato. The interesting thing was that it didn't use condensed milk but used milk. Really, would milk work? Wouldn't it freeze solid? The impetus for the idea came about because I had almost 4 or 5 litres of fresh milk in my fridge. I abhor milk. However, by the time I dilly dallied and wanted to use up the milk for this recipe, I had already finished drinking it with my coffee, milo, etc. So I ended up using UHT milk.

Maybe that's why this recipe crashed and bombed. First, I used my original recipe of condensed milk and cream, but I halved it and topped up with milk to make 2 portions instead of 1. Bad idea because the oreo frappe came out almost rock solid, very hard to 'dig' out with my ice cream scooper. My milo raisin however was ok (not soft serve but not rock hard), I wonder why? Maybe a higher amount of milk solids? I'm also wondering if the usage of UHT rather than fresh milk had any difference. UHT may have a lower fat content (and I used skimmed milk too!) and that makes it freeze more solidly, whereas the milo one has milk solids in it so it makes it creamier. I don't know, food science does my head in sometimes! So to be fair to Cooking with Dog's recipe, perhaps if I had followed it to the letter (i.e. not used condensed milk but used sugar, not used UHT but used fresh milk), perhaps, it wouldn't have frozen so hard.

Anyway here's the recipe. Taste-wise, it's ok so it's really food science wrecking havoc!

Ice cream ingredients (makes approx 1.75l of ice cream)
300 ml cream suitable for whipping, also called thickened cream
1 tin condensed milk
400 ml milk

For milo raisin: 1/2 cup raisins; 4 tbsp milo, dissolved in 3 tbsp of hot water. Let the mixture cool.
For oreo frappe: 6 oreo biscuits; 2 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 3 tbsp of hot water. Let the coffee cool.

Method
1) Prepare the toppings by mixing the milo and coffee. Set aside to cool. 
2) In a sealed zip loc bag, break up the oreos with a rolling pin. Leave some big chunks for texture.
3) Using a hand or electric whisk, whisk the cream till soft peaks. Distribute into 2 bowls.
4) Distribute equal portions of condensed milk and milk into each of the 2 bowls. Gently fold in so that you don't knock the air out of the cream.
5) To one bowl, add the raisins and milo and gently fold in. To the other bowl, add the oreo chunks and coffee.
6) Pour each bowl into an ice cream container and put them in the freezer.
7) After 3 hours, using a electric whisk or fork, break up the chunks of ice. Repeat every hour subsequently. I did it till I went to bed, i.e. only a further 2 times at hourly intervals. It is especially important to bring up the solids (i.e. raisins and oreos) from the bottom as they tend to settle there.



No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes