Saturday, February 09, 2013

Yu Sheng Lo hei

I really miss lo hei. Seeing my friends posting pictures of lo hei, and it's not even CNY yet! So for reunion dinner tonight, my first reunion dinner in AU, I decided to DIY. I found this recipe by Noob Cook and decided to try it out. Being in a foreign country, I had to improvise. I'm sure if I trawled Sunnybank (the Chinese suburb) hard enough, I would be able to locate more of the ingredients (altho I'm still pretty sure pomelo would be elusive), but I wasn't about to brave the Chinese crowds, or risk the shops closing on me. So here's my highly improvised recipe.

Ingredients (for 2)
1 Carrot
1 Cucumber
2 small pears (to replace daikon. I used a harder and less juicy pear - Wiliam Barnett- so it would't be too soggy)
2 tbsp plum sauce
1 tbsp chopped Japanese ginger (the pink one)
1 tsp five spice powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pepper (white is preferred but I only had black)
2 tbsps olive oil
1 tsp toasted white sesame seeds
2 tbsp Captain Crunch (to replace crushed toasted peanuts and the crispy Pok Chu)
Optional: raw salmon. My version had no raw fish and hence can be considered vegetarian, but I would have used smoked salmon had I remembered to buy it!



Method
1) Use the peeler to peel slivers off the carrot, cucumber and pears. Arrange separately in a deep bowl.
2) Gather family (and/or friends). While adding each of the other components, say the necessary prosperous greetings (check original Noob Cook article)
3) Get family and/or friends to hold their chopsticks and as everyone mixes up the salad, tossing as high as they can and saying auspicious greetings like lo hei and fa da chai.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes