Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Budae jigae

I have been curious about this stew for a long time. Deciding to follow this recipe http://aeriskitchen.com/2011/05/army-base-jjigae/, I adapted it slightly.

this is my second attempt because I didn't have spam the first time. However, I didn't use ramyeon this time because I overdosed on it during mark I. However, I like the idea of melted cheese on the ramyeon, so I might try that next time.

Ingredients
450g kimchi
8 large franks, chopped
1 can 250g spam, cubed
1 packet of silken tofu
1 tbsp dwenjiang
1 tbsp gochujiang
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp fish sauce (remember that the franks and spam will be salty)
1 tbsp sesame seed oil
3 cups water

Method
1) Assemble everything in a shallow stew pot.
2) On high heat, bring everything to a rolling boil for 10 minutes. Turn down flame to low, and cover. Simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.
3) To serve with ramyeon, you can either put it in the pot, or I prefer to cook it separately.
4) To add the cheese on top, add it after you have turned off the flame, and cover the pot. The residual heat will melt the cheese after about 2 minutes.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes