Sunday, August 28, 2011

Thai Fish Soup

From a Better Homes and Garden's recipe, which I adapted slightly. This is a really simple recipe that is ready in 20 minutes. Knowing how much I love soups and Tom Yung Gung, this is a real hoot!

Ingredients
1 litre chicken stock
2 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
3 lemon grass, tied into a knot
700g of fresh white fish, cut into cubes
1/4 cup fish sauce
Juice of 2 fresh limes
4 cubes of palm sugar (I didn't have that so I used normal sugar)
1 thumb sized galangal or ginger, finely sliced
1 tbsp sambal
1 can of coconut milk
1 punnet of shitake mushrooms, stalks removed (I used button because I couldn't find any shitakes, which have a stronger taste that I don't like anyway)
2 tomatoes, cubed

Method
1) Pour the chicken stock into a pot. Add the fish sauce, lime juice, sambal, kaffir lime leaves and lemon grass. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.

2) Add the coconut milk, vegetables and fish and simmer for another 10 minutes.

3) Serve immediately with steamed rice!

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes