Saturday, March 14, 2009

Sushi

sushi
I state categorically upfront - this is not an authentic sushi-making recipe. It is just a easy DIY at home simply because I'm nostalgic - I first made this in the UK and this is the first time in 9 years that I've done the recipe again. At that time, it was just something that reminded me of home. And at that time, I didn't have access to a lot of really Japanese ingredients, like I didn't even have the のり (seaweed) and the bamboo mat, so I improvised by using a sheet of paper in place of the mat. And it worked remarkably well too! I also use smoked salmon which to the non-discerning palate isn't very obviously different from fresh sashimi. Altho we are able to get freshly sliced sashimi at the supermarkets nowdays, I do wonder at the freshness of it.

I did find however that the mat really makes making the square shape of the sushi roll very much easier. I also improvise by using brown rice since that's all I use at home and I must say it makes it very much harder to clump the grains together. It started to spill out.

Ingredients
のり
(1 packet of seaweed)
1 packet of smoked salmon
わさべ (wasabe) paste
sashimi soya sauce (apparently there are many kinds of soya!)
1 cup of rice, boiled and allowed to cool

Method
1) Lay the mat out on a flat surface and place 1 sheet of のり on top.
2) Fluff up the rice. Spread the rice along the bottom of the seaweed. Pat down to clump the rice grains together. Place 2 strips of salmon along the centre of the rice.
3) Lift up the lower edge of the mat and slowly flip it over, ensuring that the edge of the seaweed is tucked in. Roll and flatten to ensure the rice is well packed. Continuing rolling until the seaweed is all rolled up.
4) Cut into squares and present but turning upwards. A little trick - wet the knife blade and you'll find it much easier to slice through and the blade won't get stuck to the rice.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes