Saturday, March 23, 2024

Fried fish kway teow

I have been wanting to cook this for the longest time but never had the wok! So finally here it is. I didn't have fish so had to substitute with prawns and fishballs but everything else is the same.

Inspiration from I Cook I Bake I Blog and Meatman. These are the 'wet' versions. Importantly, both recipes cook the fish slices in stock so that they don't break up. Everything is blanched including the noodles. The stock is cooked with wine and soya sauce, thickened with starch slurry and this gravy poured over the noodles. These look bland - who wants to eat boiled fish?

I am attempting the 'dry' version which the fried prawns, noodles, sprouts and chives are all fried. The main highlight is the fried mackerel which I happened to stumble upon in Coles while looking for white sliced fish! 

Ok this is not exactly what I meant by san lor hor fun but it's still stir-fried kway teow!


Haven't eaten curry fried mackerel for 20 years!

The difference the char kway teow recipe is:

1. Coat the kway teow only with light soya and dark soya, no cooking caramel.

2. Marinated the pat dried mackerel in Japanese cooking sake for 10 mins. Pat dry and coat with 4 tbsp potato starch mixed with 2 tsp curry powder. Fry for 7 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally.

2. I fried the prawns (coated in corn starch) individually instead of stir frying, removed, then add the egg and scrambled, instead of sort of doing a prawn omelette. This used the leftover oil from frying the fish.

3. When I fried the noodles, I didn't use any extra oil! Just what was available from the noodles itself and also what had been used for frying the fish, oil, and eggs. Added the drizzle sauce (leftover fish marinade, 1 tbsp light soya, 1 tbsp dark soya, tsp of chicken powder).

4. I added bok choy.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes