Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Pressure cooked BBQ pork ribs

My first attempt using the pressure cooker. The recipe isn't important, what's more important are the learnings.

Based on some research of pork ribs, I used the Meat function with a cooking time of 30 minutes based on the thickness of the ribs. Beef ribs would probably take 40 mins and korean short ribs would probably take about 20 minutes. This excludes the time taken to come up to pressure. I read that if the ribs were put in frozen, first, they must be covered in a liquid and second, the cooking time remains the same because it just takes longer to come up to pressure e.g. 20 mins instead of 10 minutes.

Despite marinating the ribs in a dry rub for 6 hours, it wasn't very tasty. I placed the ribs at the bottom, then layered on the hard vegs (potatoes and carrots), poured on a homemade bbq sauce (brown sugar, HP sauce, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste) and finally, layered on the soft vegs (tomatoes and broccoli). I left the hard vegs very chunky.

The result? The ribs were fall off the bone soft, I was amazed. However, the gravy was very watery, perhaps due to the 4 tomatoes I put in. Some recipes recommend using the Saute function to reduce this. The hard veg came out ok and could be easily forked through. However, the broccoli was dismal - overly soft and discoloured. I might need to steam this separately in future.

Overall, not bad for 30 mins (+ 10 mins to come up to pressure) work!

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes