Saturday, September 17, 2016

Overnight Belgium Yeast Waffle

First trial of yeasted belgium-style waffles discussed in a previous post. I choose this recipe instead of the non-overnight versions because if I'm going to use yeast and let it rise, I won't be skimping on the time element so I might as well be go all the way. I also chose the recipe because it is portioned for 2 people, sufficient oil content, and avoiding baking soda because I find it gives it an alkaline taste which I'm not too fond of.

This adaption is based on two recipes because the proportions are easy to remember: equal parts milk, eggs, and flour. My only adaptations are conversion to cup or metric
:http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/overnight-yeast-waffles

However, I had instant not active yeast and adapted the method from this 
: http://crispywaffle.com/?p=110. This recipe doesn't activate the yeast so does not use water but has 1 tbsp sugar (instead of 1 tsp) to help the proving.

Ingredients (makes 7 waffles *2 leafs + 1 leaf)
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
2 cup warm milk (37 to 40 deg C)
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt

Method
1) Mix the dry: flour, salt, sugar, and yeast.
2) Mix the wet: Warm milk, butter, beaten egg.
3) Combine but don't over mix but ensure that there are no lumps. I used a spatula to smooth out the lumps rather than stirring or whisking.
4) Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge to prove overnight. (10 to 24 hours)
5) Next day, heat up the waffle iron and pour on 3/4 scoop per side (I only used ¾ scoop per side, and scant 1/2 scoop in the centre) but resist the urge to flatten out. Pour in the centre or it will overflow, as it did on me.
5) After it stops steaming, remove carefully with a spatula to aid u but avoid using a knife or fork which can scratch the nonstick surface. I did not have my oil the surface so I intend to keep it that way.



Recipe feedback
1) The batter was really very watery. I thought I'd done something wrong. But as it turns out, it made the same number of waffles as the American pancake-adapted batter.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes