Thursday, May 19, 2016

Slow cooked beef brisket and daikon in chu hou sauce

Recipe adapted from here: http://en.christinesrecipes.com/2008/08/stewed-beef-brisket-in-chu-hou-sauce.html
It's my first time using chu hou sauce and I must say I like it! It's the distinctly HK taste I've been looking for. Although I didnt expect it to be so salty, I need to put a bit less next time.

Ingredients (after adjustment for salt content)
750g beef brisket
1 tbsp chinese cooking wine
1 tbsp light soya
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp chu hou sauce
1 daikon, cubed
½ tbsp ginger
3 star anise
2 tsp corn starch


Method
1) Marinate the beef in wine, light soya sauce, and oyster sauce for at least an hour.
2) In a slow cooker, use the sear function to fry the chu hou sauce and ginger. Add the beef and briefly fry.
3) Slow cook for 1 to 1.5 hours till brisket is soft. Make a slurry with the corn starch and add.
4) Serve with rice.




No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes