Saturday, March 23, 2013

Saenggangcha

Why pay $10 or more per bottle of tea when you can make it yourself? My favourite winter tea is ginger tea, and I've been particularly partial to the korean ones that you can buy at Korean supermarkets. However, they cost an arm and a leg for a bottle, although it does last a long time. My one piece of ginger and some honey that I had in the cupboard cost me probably less than $2 in total.

I surfed the Internet and it's so easy to make your own! Or if you can find Korean citroen fruit, even better!

I used this recipe from my favourite Korean cook but there are tonnes of others.
http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/saenggangcha

Her recipe is easy because there is no cooking involved, and it's so fast. It took me less than 5 minutes with a grater, faster if you use the food processor (but I was feeling reluctant to fire up the food processor for just a couple of seconds' work!).

Add equal portion of honey (Maangchi put her grated ginger into a measuring cup but I just eyeballed), stir well and voila!

Can be served hot (add recently boiled water) or cold (she didn't even add boiling water, just cold water and ice).

Maangchi does advice us to keep the bottled mixture in the fridge though.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes