Saturday, May 26, 2007

Kim Chi Tang

The kim chi from my Korea trip has been hanging around my fridge for close to a month now. Altho I'm told it can last ages (ie months or even years), I'm not inclined to do so because I want to be able to buy new kim chi! Yes, the taste has kinda grown on me. From someone who detests kim chi, I actually found my own batch of kim chi surprisingly refreshing when eaten. Since kim chi is naturally sour (due to the naturally occuring lactobacilli as a result of the fermentation process), there is a salty-sweet tang at the end. Maybe it's just psychological since I made it myself.

Anyhow, my tour guide did mention that you can do lots with kim chi including kim chi fried rice or kim chi soup (which I also tried during the tour). Came across this simple recipe yesterday from a health magazine and thought I'd try it as well as slightly adapt it. This soup brings out the best in the kim chi - it's like Sichuan hot and sour soup, but the chicken stock dilutes the inherent tartness of the kim chi, so this works for people who don't like very sour things - give it a try!

Ingredients
400g kim chi
1l chicken stock (you can use stock cube, I used Maggi Chicken Stock)
8 fresh shitake mushrooms, sliced
1 box of silken toufu
1 thumb sized ginger, sliced thinly
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
Soya sauce to taste (usually canned or ready chicken stock is already quite salty, so watch it!)
1 tbsp fish sauce

Method
1) Bring the chicken stock to a boil.
2) Add the kim chi, ginger, garlic and shitake mushrooms and let simmer for about 10-15 mins.
3) Add the soya sauce and fish sauce.
4) Add the toufu.
5) Serve with steamed rice.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes