Sunday, July 30, 2006

Oriental Salad Dressings

Sick of the same old boring bottled dressings like Thousand Island, Ranch (still my favourite though) or honey mustard? Why not try these simple yet tasty dressings that you can whip up in a jiffy, with minimal mess! Some are Oriental inspired, and guaranteed to give your tastebuds a vacation from bottled dressings!

1) Honey mustard
Ok I admit isn't new, nor is it oriental but I like it anyway, and it beats anything that comes out of a bottle.
- Combine 2 tbls honey (use flavoured ones like manuka for a change!), 1 tsp mustard with a drizzle of olive oil and whisk.
- Goes well with any garden salad.

2) Chilli udang floss (fancy name for 'chilli prawn floss')
- I use the bottled floss but if you are lucky enough to get hold of the real deal Teochew favourite, it makes all the difference! As a substitute, chicken floss will do too, just add some sambal if you have it for the extra spicyness.
- Goes well with steamed beans and carrots

- Fresh from my recent Bangkok trip, I topped this off with bits of crispy sweet and spicy cuttlefish (the snack).

3) Honey Wasabe
Japanese inspired and something I tasted once, so I experimented until I got the ingredients and proportions
- Combine 2 tbls honey, 1 tbl sesame seed oil, 1 tbl Japanese soya sauce and 1 tsp wasabe. Whisk. (Add more of the honey or wasabe to your own taste preference)
- Goes well with garden salad or other 'Japanese' ingredients like cooked inoki mushroom, crabstick and Japanese cucumber.

4) Tofu and century egg salad
This is actually a starter in Shanghai food, again, I experimented till I got the ingredients and proportions to my taste
- 1 packet of silken toufu, cubed (drain away the water); combine with 1 cubed century egg, and add 2 tsp of sesame oil. Combine well but be careful not to break up the toufu until it becomes messy.
- Best served chilled

5) Japanese cucumber salad
Another starter in Shanghai food which I experimented until I managed to replicate the taste
- Combine 2 tsp sesame oil with 1 clove of crushed garlic and microwave on high for 15 seconds (cover so that it does not splatter) Toss well with 1 Japanese cucumber, sliced
- Best served chilled


6) Thai chilli and soya dip
Another Thai-inspired recipe, this can be used either as a dipping sauce or as a dressing. This is my favourite brand of chilli flakes, found in selected supermakets.
- It goes best with a few sprinkles into 1 tbsp of nom pla (Thai fish sauce) or normal Chinese dark soya sauce (if you don't like the fishy smell), and diluted with 1 tbsp of water
- Serve with steamed brocolli

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes