Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Cornflake cookies

That dratted festival will soon be upon us! Yes, CNY again. I remember getting all excited about the festival - coming home from school and helping Gran make cookies. She'll always make 2 kinds - her delicious butter cookies and also her kueh bankit. No where else have I tasted kueh bankit which quite compares. I'd help her cut the dough with the cookie cutters, crimp out the designs, etc. My aunt would make her delicious pineapple tarts and love letters and never failed to give us at least a tin of each.

Sadly, Gran's receipes are lost to us now. As for my aunt, she's getting on in years and can't bake as much as she used to.

However, in the spirit of baking something festive, I've started my own traditions of baking simple cookies. This year however, the spirit escapes me. Maybe it's the environment, at least in the past in an 'auntie' environment, I was spurred to bake my own goodies and bring them to work, sharing in the season. Everyone would be in on it, baking their own goodies and bringing them to work. I miss those times.

This is the prized receipe of my ex-colleague, a super duper baker.

Ingredients
10 oz self-raising flour
1 egg
8 oz butter
6 oz fine sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 box cornflakes

Method
1) Cream butter, sugar & egg till sugar has melted.
2) Add vanilla, flour slowly bit by bit.
3) Finally add the crushed cornflakes.
4) Press together hard into a ball and fit them into tiny paper cups. U can coat some cornflakes on the outside too.
5) Bake at 120 degrees for about 45 mins.

No comments:

Soya sauce Korean rice cakes